Recovery from any sporting event is critical to injury prevention and must be a component that should be planned into your training program. The main basic steps to follow in the first few days:
On the day:
- Keep warm. Your body will cool down rapidly which is stressful to your cells, so have tracksuit pants and a jumper ready, and get your wet clothes off.
- Eat. Protein – bananas, energy bars, sporting drinks, fruit are all good options and will help with recovery.
- Ice bath. Later in the day when you get home an ice bath will help with muscular repair.
- Walk. A light walk in the evening before going to bed.
Day 1 – 3 of recovery:
- Warm bath followed by stretch.
- Eat, and eat lots. Focus on carbs and protein to refuel.
- Light massage – no deep tissue at this stage, it will be too much for muscle fibres.